General Aviation Report Submissions
It is a requirement that all General Aviation flights inbound into the UK are notified by means of submitting a General Aviation Report (GAR) in advance of your arrival into the UK.
It is also a requirement to submit a GAR for outbound flights to the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands, Isel of Man and any destination outside the EU.
The minimum notification periods for submitting a GAR are:
- Outbound to EU countries (excluding Republic of Ireland) – No GAR needed for UK Authorities
- Inbound from EU countries (excluding Republic of Ireland) – 4 hours prior to arrival
- To/From the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man – 12 hours prior to departure/arrival
- To/From other non-EU countries – 24 hours prior to departure/arrival
The UK Government Free ‘Submit a GAR’ online platform is now available.
GARs can be completed by visiting www.GOV.UK/submit-gar
- It is free to use and designed for the whole GA community, including FBOs.
- No more faxing or emailing required.
- Upon submission — GAR's will be received by Border Force and Police.
The platform has additional benefits including:
- When a GAR has been submitted, users will receive a transmission reference number.
- Users will be able to upload corresponding documents, to help make travelling through the UK border even easier.
- All GARs can be managed from a single platform and your previous details will be saved, making submitting a GAR even quicker.
- Users can create draft GARs for future travel.
Border Force is bringing in new GA legislation in 2020 that will mandate for GAR data to be submitted using only electronic methods. GARs emailed or faxed will no longer be acceptable or comply with the new legislation.
Using this new digital service ‘Submit a GAR’ will comply with the incoming legislation.
A submitted GAR does NOT provide PPR to an aerodrome where that is separately required NOR does it replace a Flight Plan.
Note that you can only access the AOPA OnlineGAR service from the members only Member Benefits page on this website.
Paid or Subscription - Commercial Service Providers
OnlineGAR.com offers a GAR submission service which you can subscribe to going to www.onlinegar.com.
Alternatively, some other Flight Planning Services include GAR submissions:
SkyDemon use the OnlineGAR.com service which is included free with a SkyDemon subscription.
RocketRoute submit via their own email form and you do not get confirmation of receipt.
Some Fixed Base Operators and Handling Agents will submit GAR's as part of their service.
Emergency General Aviation Report (GAR) Telephone Line
Emergency General Aviation Report (GAR) Telephone Line (0845 723 1110) OR (SWITCHBOARD: 0300 123 2012) : If you need to submit or amend a GAR for Border Force purposes in an emergency situation, you may call the GAR Emergency Telephone Line on +44 (0) 845 723 1110 OR Switchboard: +44 (0) 300 123 2012 from abroad.
The emergency telephone line may only be used for a flight that is:
- not required to report to the police under the Terrorism Act 2000; and
- outside the GAR reporting timescales.
An emergency may be described as:
- medical emergency of a pilot/passenger; or
- air ambulance with critical passenger; or other emergencies requiring a change to information contained within an already submitted GAR; or
- last minute changes to a submitted GAR, only when changes to online version are not possible.
This telephone line is strictly only for the purposes listed above. For all other GA enquiries please visit : https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/general-aviation
General Declarations (GENDEC's) to other Countries
Other countries require GENDEC's to be submitted either in advance or on arrival to the relevant Authority, normally Customs or Police. Sometimes these are only required at certain airports of arrival. We suggest that, if there are no sources of country specific GENDEC's, you take a printed copy of your UK GAR form. We are aware of the following online sources for GENDEC's (please let us know if you are aware of any others):
Alderney & Guernsey (Note OnlineGAR.com provide a pre-filled form with a GAR submission)
Ireland (Note OnlineGAR.com provide a pre-filled form with a GAR submission)
Jersey (Note OnlineGAR.com provide a pre-filled form with a GAR submission)
Netherlands (Note OnlineGAR.com transmit your GAR details to Dutch Customs)